Got expertise or skills in architecture, design, sustainability, event organising or administration? Do you want to work with RUSS’ architects and self-builders as they embark on the process of designing new affordable homes for London? RUSS is calling for volunteers to join our new ‘Co-Design Support Team’, which will support our architects and project managers through a season of collaborative design and public consultation events this spring and summer.
What is our ‘Co-Design’ Process?
With the success of the recent ballot to select the lucky future residents of our Church Grove affordable housing development, RUSS’ Project Team is beginning the architectural design process for the new neighbourhood in collaboration with successful applicants, local residents and the council.
In tune with our ethos of social and environmental sustainability, this will be a collaborative process where residents and members work with our architects to refine the layout, look and features of new RUSS homes. The collaborative nature of the process sets it apart from bog-standard private housing development, and that’s why we call it ‘co-design’.
How can I get involved?
Our co-design season will take place over 8–10 evening and weekend sessions during April to August 2016. We are looking for volunteers to help us with one or more of the following:
- Using your professional knowledge of architecture, design or sustainability to advise and coach our self-builders at design workshops held on evenings and weekends. Don’t worry, these will always be led by our architects Architype (architype.co.uk) and specialist advisors Jon Broome Architects (jonbroome.co.uk)
- Working with our professional Project Team, whilst at the same time learning about the design and development of affordable housing
- Arranging venues, setting up events and assisting our self-builders on the night; generally keeping the wheels turning
- Keeping our self-build group and wider membership up to date on forthcoming events
- Contribute to a unique charitable movement taking real action on London’s housing crisis.
Who should I contact?
If you are interested in getting involved we would love to hear from you! Please email a brief description of your experience, whether of architecture/design or administration/organisation, to email@example.com, with ‘Support Volunteer’ in the subject line.
An introductory gathering of the Co-Design Support Group is provisionally planned for Wednesday 20th April at 7pm. We’ll confirm this to those who express an interest by email.
We hope to hear from you!
RUSS Volunteer & Stakeholder Director