This workshop aims to share the lessons RUSS have learned over the past five years with other aspiring community groups, students and housing practitioners, drawing on our experience with the upcoming Church Grove Project in Lewisham, South London.
Saturday 15 July 2017, 10.30am-4pm
The Building Centre
26 Store Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1E 7BT
RUSS has faced many challenges and has come up with creative and robust solutions to gaining access to land to build. RUSS is by no means perfect or finished, but we believe we have some valuable lessons that can be passed on to those starting out on a journey towards community housing.
The course is delivered by visionary RUSS founder Kareem Dayes and other RUSS organisers, who are donating their time. All course fees will go towards RUSS achieving its first housing project.
£50 including VAT
£40 including VAT for RUSS members, students and concessions
This includes all course materials, access to ongoing networking and coffee. Lunch is not included but there is a café at The Building Centre and several nearby.
The workshop includes the following elements:
– Creating a group – finding people who share your vision
– Organising – networking and building your membership
– Communications – creating a strategy
– Politics – how do local authorities work?
– Legal issues – land disposal, procurement and competitive dialogue
– Finance – where is the money?
– Building a professional team
– Allocations – deciding who lives in the homes
– Ongoing networking